3/27/2012

General Conference with Kids

We LOVE General Conference and look forward to listening every 6 months.  If you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints you know what I am talking about.  This is a time when we have the opportunity to listen to our prophet, the 12 apostles and other general authorities in a worldwide conference.  General Conference is Saturday March 31st and Sunday April 1st, with two sessions each day, one starting at 10 A.M. and the other at 2 P.M.


Everyone is welcome to watch here.

We usually watch general conference at home over the internet. It can be a long 2 hours for our 3 year old so I put together a little activity to help keep him involved and wanting to watch. My hope is to help him identify the prophet and the 12 apostles.  We usually hear from all 12 apostles except for 2 that usually speak during the priesthood session (Saturday night) so we will have 2 activities left over that we can do sometime between conference sessions.

Here is the activity I put together:

It's pretty simple, just a basket of different kinds of treats and activities that he can do while listening to conference.  I put a picture on each activity so he can watch to see who speaks and then find the activity/treat with their picture on it.  I put together 15 activities one for our prophet, his two councilors and the 12 apostles.

You can't see a lot of the things that I put in the basket because I wanted the focus to be on the prophet/apostles not on the activity.  Here is a list of what I  put in the basket:
Connect 4 game
Crayons and Coloring Book
brownie mix...to make during the session
Snickers candy bar
animal crackers
goldfish
Magnetic doodle board
M&M's
Chalk for our chalk board
Apple
Magnet Noah's ark tin
Beads/necklace
Fruit snacks
Quiet book
Stickers

I used pictures from a quiet book I made awhile ago.
Heather put it together over at simply fresh designs.  You can get the templates for your personal use by visiting her site.

I love it because each page has a photo of the prophet along with facts about them.  I used these pages instead of pictures so we can learn about each one as part of the activity.

Enjoy General Conference and have a wonderful weekend!
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. This is so cute and useful! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I was trying to figure out what to do for Kyrah for conference. GREAT IDEA! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, so glad you like it. We had a lot of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do this same thing, but with gift bags (so they don't see it and bug us the entire time for Monson's M&Ms). I just wish I knew how to get the schedule for conference. Last year, the girls got all the food in almost one session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you have the file with the pictures already.
    i love your blog by the way. so many cute stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! You did a beautiful job on this. I was also wondering if you have the files with the pictures already on them that you would be willing to share? I have a daughter in the MTC and I would love to send her a set in the next day or two to have for conference weekend. Thanks in advance!! My email address is onewildefamily (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...